FutureProofing: If The Next 5 Years Is Like The Last 5 Years What Should You Be Doing Now? — Attracting Your Dream Client
Everyone can benefit from having a coach. We know that. But what you need to get super clear about as a coach is who will be blown away by what YOU can offer as a coach. Who do you truly serve by being your skillful self?
It is a truism that not everyone will benefit from having YOU as a coach. Nor should you think they will. The fact is, your knowledge, skills, coaching style and experience make you the perfect coach for only a very specific person — sometimes known as your dream (or ideal) client.
Positioning yourself and planning all the add-ons you have been learning about in the Challenge needs to be tailored around that Ideal Client’s unique and specific needs today. For instance your new coaching offer could specifically target stress management at work (the numbers of people who are over stressed and struggling under the Covid uncertainty are constantly increasing). Your new group coaching programme could be the perfect solution right now to the difficulties he or she is experiencing.
Doing this will enable you to appeal to the very person you want and to command a higher rate than the coach who tries to serve a wider audience. Your clients will value your advice much more — and be more likely to act on it successfully — when they know they are part of a carefully chosen subset of a larger market. And that you are the most knowledgeable about, and understanding of, their unique situation.
So how do you attract that ideal client? The obvious first step is to find out who he or she is. Ask yourself:
- What her family situation is — is she married? Does she have children? Does she live in a house or apartment? In the city or in a rural area?
- What her socio-economic status is — is she wealthy or working class? From a privileged or more humble background? Does she have a job? Own her own business?
- How old she is — Is she just out of college? An empty nester? Retiree?
- What are the exact problems you are uniquely positioned to help her solve? For example, if you have a background in the business world of being a manager you are in the ideal position to target managers and their performance under the new rules of the workplace that Covid has brought. Being able to support managers to work successfully with virtual teams is a must, for example. The pain point you’re answering for that coachee is “How can I motivate and manage my team when I don’t see them anymore and still get our tasks and projects out on time?”
Once you know the answers to these questions (and there are many more you can ask yourself — this is just a small sample of what you need to know about your dream client) you will better know exactly how to reach your ideal client. (if you click on the link in the box below you will automatically get access to our member’s free library where there are helpful documents to prompt you to dig deep on your ideal coachee.
In the end you’ll know:
- Where she hangs out — forums, Facebook and LinkedIn groups, local meetups, and more are all gathering places for like-minded individuals. Chances are if your dream client is spending time in one particular group, there are others there who will also benefit from your coaching.
- Where he’s going — Your dream client has goals, and if you can discover them and create a plan to get him there and use the opportunity that Covid has created rather than being stuck, he’ll gladly pay you a premium for your coaching services.
If you’re just starting out, it can seem daunting to identify your dream client, their needs, and where they spend their time. As you work with more people though, you’ll be better able to refine your message — including your email marketing, sales copy, social media outreach, and more — and you will naturally begin to attract exactly who you want to work with. Be patient, be persistent and stick to your strategy for survival that you planned in the Challenge. That is what will lead you to a flourishing, thriving future.
This article is part of my July series on FutureProofing Your Coaching Business … so watch this space for more ideas and support.
if you would like to learn more about the “FutureProofing for Coaches Blueprint” and our Toolkits for Coaches come and join us.
Yes please, I’d love to receive an update once a month and access to the free Member’s library ….. https://forms.aweber.com/form/76/1704509576.htm “